Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Tenants

Properties for lease may be viewed either by prior appointment with one of our Property Managers, or at one of our listed open for inspections.

You will need to complete our Rental Application Form and provide us with identity documents, payslips, bank statements and other documents to prove your income. You may request our Rental Application Form via email or access it on this website.

It is important to provide us with all requested information and documents to avoid any delays in processing your application.

Once you have been approved as a tenant, you will be asked to pay a holding deposit equivalent to one week’s rent. We will provide you with instructions on how to make this happen.

Once we have received the holding deposit, we will prepare the Residential Tenancy Agreement and arrange for you to sign it, pay the bond and the second week’s rent. After this has been completed, the keys will be signed over to you to begin your tenancy.

A Residential Tenancy Agreement is a written contract between you as the tenant and the landlord. This legal document covers the rent that needs to be paid and how often it is to be paid, the duration of the tenancy, the bond amount and other terms and conditions.

A rental bond is a form of security that is paid by you to the Rental Bond Board. The bond is equivalent to 4 weeks’ rent.

You will need to pay 2 weeks’ rent in advance.

Rent will be first due at the commencement of your tenancy when you pay 2 weeks in advance. Rent will be due again on or before the day that the 2 weeks conclude. Rent may be paid weekly or fortnightly. You may also request to pay monthly. Please talk to your Property Manager about your preferred frequency.

Your local Wiseberry office will offer you different methods for paying your rent to meet your needs, which may include via an electronic transfer to a Trust Account, by Direct Debit, BPAY or Credit Card. Please check with your Wiseberry office which method(s) of payment they offer.

You may be charged for your water usage if the property is separately metered, for which we will invoice you quarterly, if applicable.

We strongly recommend that you seek an insurance policy to cover your belongings and furniture against theft, fire and any other damage or event you may need. It is important to note that the landlord’s insurance policy will not be covering your possessions. The type of insurance you will need to arrange is Contents Insurance. Your local Wiseberry office may be able to assist with arranging this.

If you have a pet, you will need to include that information as part of your application and we will need to seek permission from the landlord. We will ask you to provide us with information about the pet such as breed, age, photos, registration number and references. Should your pet be approved, we will write conditions into the lease relating to damage, flea treatments and cleaning.

If the property you are applying for is a strata title unit, we will need to check the by-laws to verify whether there are any restrictions on keeping animals. We would irrespectively still need to seek permission from the landlord and strata manager.

If you are getting a pet after the lease commencement, you will need to apply in writing for permission to keep a pet at the property. It is the landlord’s decision to approve the pet or not.

We ask that all repair and maintenance requests be submitted online via the form available on this website or via email direct to your Property Manager.

For emergency repair requests, please refer to your residential tenancy agreement for instructions and emergency contact details. We suggest you keep these contact details handy in the event of future needs. However, it is always best to try to contact your Property Manager directly before arranging your own repairs.

We will carry a thorough inspection of the property prior to you taking possession, known as the Ingoing Report. We will thereafter carry regular inspections up to four times a year, depending on the landlord’s instructions. We will contact you to provide 7 days notice before an inspection takes place. You can either be at the inspection or allow us to use our key to access the property on the day of the inspection. Where applicable, we also do regular drive-bys to ensure the gardens and lawns are being regularly maintained and looked after.

Provided the property is suitable for additional occupants, and the number of occupants listed on the tenant agreement is not exceeded, any additional tenant will need to go through our application process and meet our eligibility criteria just like you did when you first applied. If approved, the additional tenant will then be added to the lease.

For security reasons, it is very important that you notify your Property Manager as soon as possible in the event your keys are either lost or stolen. We will arrange for a locksmith to replace the locks and you will be responsible for the replacement costs.

In the event you lock yourself out of the property, we normally have a spare key at the office for most of our properties which you may borrow during office hours. You may be asked for formal identification when collecting the key. We will also ask you to return the spare key to our office within 24 hours of borrowing it.

In the event we do not have a spare key or the office is closed, you will need to arrange for a locksmith at your own expense.

Some of our offices may be contactable after hours to arrange access, with a fee payable for unlocking the property outside of normal business hours.

If you intend to vacate the property at the end of the residential tenancy agreement, you will need to let us know in writing. You can do this by submitting a Notice to Vacate Form which can be completed on this website. Alternatively, you can contact your Property Manager to email you the Form, or email them directly. Once we receive the notice, we will contact you and confirm your intention, work out how much rent is due to the end of the agreement and provide you with a guide to vacating. We will need to carry out an exit inspection after which, if all is well, and the keys have been returned and the rent paid, we will arrange to have your bond refunded.

If you do not intend to vacate the property at the end of the residential tenancy agreement, you may approach us, or us you, to enter into a new agreement. It will be up to the landlord whether or not a new agreement is entered into.

If you propose to vacate the property at the end of your fixed term agreement, you are required to give us at least 14 days written notice, prior to the expiry date of the fixed term.

If your agreement has expired and you wish to vacate, you are required to give us at least 21 days written notice.

In either case, you can complete and submit the Notice to Vacate Form available on this website, or email your Property Manager.

Life circumstances can at times affect our ability to pay rent. If you ever experience difficulties meeting your rent payments, we ask that you contact your Property Manager in writing straight away. We will then be able to talk to you about your situation.

It is important to keep in mind that there cannot be any rent arrears and payment of rent must be up-to-date at all times. Rent arrears by more than 14 days will result in a termination notice being served. This is why it is very important to share early any issues with rental payments.

If you change your job during a tenancy agreement, we ask that you please provide us with the new details, including change of email address and phone number, as soon as possible so we can update your particulars on file and maintain up-to-date contact details.

If, for some unforeseen reasons, you need to vacate the property prior to the end of the agreement, you will need to notify us in writing. Your tenancy agreement will specify the break lease arrangements. Please contact your Property Manager should the situation arise.